At about 5:00, I suddenly felt a small gush. I had the thought that my water had just broken. However, it wasn't a large amount of fluid. I thought about it for a few minutes and decided to just wait and see what happened. Around 5:30 I decided I had to admit that my water had in fact actually broken. I started gathering things I would need to bring to the hospital. I could feel that I had started to cramp. I was kind of surprised, because I didn't have any cramping to speak of with Audrey. I was really glad when Scott finally got home from work, because the cramping was getting more obvious. As soon as he walked in the door I said, "Mom and Scott, I think my water broke about 45 minutes ago." Scott looked very surprised. As we were driving, I could tell that I was having contractions and not just cramping. They were surprisingly close together. I would say they were about 3-4 minutes apart. However, they weren't too painful. When we arrived at about 6:30, I made Scott leave the bags in the car just in case I was wrong. I was admitted to a room and changed. She checked me and said my water had in fact broken, which was a relief. I would have been annoyed at that point, because the contractions were picking up. I had dilated to about a 3 and was 80% effaced. Scott went down to the car to get the bags. When he got back, he gave me a blessing. The contractions were coming about every 1-2 minutes and took some concentration to get through. I was hoping for more of a break since I didn't have pitocin. She came back in about 7:30 or so to say she was starting an IV. She finally had everything set up about 7:50. By this time, the contractions were getting really uncomfortable. I was a 5 and 100% effaced. She said I'd probably deliver in an hour or two. Scott was massaging my hips to try and help with the contractions. He was really sweet and was trying to help. I was just in so much pain and I just wanted it to be done. I felt like it took her a long time to come in with the fentanyl. I was so pleased to see her when she finally came in! That was at about 8:15. I did get a little fuzzy feeling from the fentanyl, but I don't feel like it really made any difference at all. When she was done, she checked me again. I was at an 8! She left to make sure my doctor was hurrying and on his way. She sent someone in to set up the delivery instruments table. I was really struggling during each contraction. I finally asked Scott what time it was and he said almost 8:30. I was in so much pain! Then, I could tell I was complete. I knew I needed to push! Scott said, "Don't push!" Now, I don't know if I said it or just thought it, but I knew I had to push! I started pushing and he kept saying, "Don't push!" I guess the nurse walked in, because she later told me she heard me say, "The baby is coming! The baby is coming! The baby is here!" I felt the baby descend. I felt the baby come out. I don't think I pushed for more than about 15 seconds. I was fully aware of what I meant when I said, "The baby is here!" Well, Scott and the nurse apparently didn't fully understand, because the nurse put a glove on to check where the head was. Scott said they were both stunned to pull back the sheet and there was a baby on the bed! The baby was a girl! I was surprised, because I'd just figured the "probably a boy" was in fact a boy! The nurses rushed in the room and cut the umbilical cord and raced the baby over to the warmer and respiratory table. I was just trying to catch my breath on the bed, because I had a definite decrease in pain. A random doctor walked in. They had called a code white which is "We have a baby being born and no doctor! We need a doctor NOW!" He felt my uterus to make sure I was cramping down. He said, "You're still really high. You have something else in there!" I said, "What?! Are you serious?!" I felt my uterus and could tell it was still basically up by my ribs! Scott came over and said, "What's going on?" The doctor again said I had something else in there and asked if I was having twins. I said not that I knew of. The nurse rushed an ultrasound machine in the room and th doctor started scanning my tummy. He said, "You have another baby in there! Find the heart tones!" I started panicking! How could I be having twins?! I kept saying, "Are you serious?!" He checked me. I guess he did that to see if he could feel the other baby's head and my second water broke! That's when I knew I really WAS having another baby! I was in shock! I could barely think! Scott started to cry. The nurse was trying to find the heart beat and was saying, "Where should I look?!" The doctor said, "Anywhere! Just keep moving it around. You'll find it!" I was just stunned and couldn't think straight. I guess they found the heartbeat and that it was low and the baby was stressed. I don't remember hearing it. The doctor said, "You need to push! You need to get this baby out!" I was so shocked that I hadn't even registered that I needed to push. So, I started pushing. I was in a lot of pain again. I could tell this baby was bigger, because it took more effort to push out. I probably didn't even push for a minute and a second baby came out! I was just stunned and in shock! This one was a boy! The girl, Marie Margaret, was 5 lbs 6 oz and 18 inches long. The boy, Peter Hardy, was 6 lbs 11 oz and 18.5 inches long. In all the commotion and chaos, no one really noticed the time the babies were born. So, we said the first was born at 8:30 and the second at 8:38. After a few minutes of taking care of me, my doctor FINALLY walked in and said, "Twins! How did I miss twins?!" During fixing me up, he said, "I have never missed twins! I guess never say never!" Scott asked him how many babies he's delivered and he said, "Probably 6000! How did I miss this!" My doctor also commented on how it worked out that we didn't know I was having twins, because they would have done all kinds of tests and talked about c-sections and made things a lot more complicated. I just feel blessed that things went so well considering we didn't know! I guess we already knew one baby was head down, because my doctor had confirmed that. We were VERY lucky they didn't come earlier, because we have supplemental insurance that didn't kick in until October 1! Scott also found out later in the nursery that it's very common for one of the babies in a set of twins to end up in the NICU. So, we're very lucky they were both doing so well. Things finally calmed down in the room. It had been absolute craziness since about 8:00! The nurse told me that she looked at me when I came in and that I just looked like all baby. I didn't look exceptionally large. She said if she'd been told I was having twins, she would have said I was too small! She said I gave her two great stories! Not only did I deliver my baby on my own onto the bed, which she's NEVER had happen before, but I found out while delivering that I was having twins! With ultrasound, it's very rare for someone to not know! I never suspected, because I only gained 17-18 pounds and was measuring only slightly larger than what you should! I measured 38 cm when I was 37 1/2 weeks and they say those two numbers usually go together. I knew "the baby" was very active, but it never occurred to me that it was because I had two! My doctor said at my ultrasound that I only had one in there! We still can't figure out how it was missed. We have a video copy of the ultrasound that we are going to watch and see if we can see evidence of a second baby.
I'll post more later. It's late, but I wanted to get an update posted for all you eager readers out there. I've found our story is the talk of the hospital, my family, Scott's family, my ward, my parents home town, Scott's ward, etc. We've been overwhelmed with offers to help and are so grateful to have so many people who care about us.
So, here are some pictures.
34 comments:
Wow! You are a super woman. Let me know what I can do for you. Your little ones are so cute! I bet Richard and Audrey are loving it, a boy and a girl.
Cute pictures! (By the way, I've told the story to various people I work with too, at a couple different hospitals. One other doc said, "If it hadn't been you telling me, I wouldn't believe it!)
I think you'll be the talk of the town for awhile! I still can't believe it--and it's not even me!
Good luck with two babies. You guys are awesome!
OH MY GOSH!! How in the WORLD can you miss twins on an ultrasound?!@?!?! That just freaks me out Lucille. Wow, How nice to know though that they are so healthy and now you got two kids with the price of one pregnancy!! WOOHOO!! Oh, so did you go natural too?? You are such a trooper!! Congratulations!!
Okay Lucille, I have to confess that I didn't believe this story until I saw the pictures. I thought you were pulling an April Fool's joke in the middle of October! That is the most unbelievable birthing experience I've ever heard! And you birthed your first baby all by yourself with no epidural! AND I can't believe how big they are for being twins. Wow, maybe you should be on the news. Hope everything is going well, and the shock is finally settling in. Good luck!
Hey, I'm a friend of Jill's. I have to say that that is amazing! I'm happy for you that everything turned out well.
I am still in shock!!! I am so glad that everything turned out so well. You were definantly being watched over. Congratulations, they look perfect. I bed Audrey and Richard will feel spoiled a baby for each of them.
Holy smokes! What a great story! (Jill Roderick referred me here.) I just did a play called 'Birth" (about the birthing stories of 8 women) and I am going to a cast party this evening. Guess what I'm going to be telling everyone! :) Way to go, Mommy!
Hey Lucy it's Marci from Gunnison!! Congratulations on the babies, they are beautiful!! That is really crazy that the doctor did not catch that one. Audrey and Richard are so cute, I am glad everything is going to well for you and your family! We have a blog it is bostonsfamily.blogspot.com it you have time and want to check it out please do. Again I am so glad everything is well and you have two new beautiful healthy babies!
Wow! They look beautiful....
Thanks for the story!!! WOW! I'm so glad you were watched over. Your babies are beautiful. Marie looks so feminine and Peter so handsome! Congratulations!
You story is truely remarkable! Amazing that you have two beautiful, healthy children out of it. I can't believe how big the twins are and you weren't measuring big at all. Enjoy your new adventure and your two new additions. Congrats!
So you don't know me, but we've got the whole friend of a friend thing going on here... :) Anyway, your story is just crazy!! I had to laugh, though, because when I was pregnant with my son, I was told I was absolutely for sure having a girl. And that he was head-down. Well, a c-section later (due to a breech baby), I had a little boy! So, out of sheer curiosity, I scrolled through your posts to see who your doctor was and mine was Dr. Anderson (who, at the time, was partners with your doctor). Is he still using that crappy old ultrasound equipment?
Congratulations! That is so crazy. Hope your all doing well.
Love- Matthew & Emily Huff
I am so glad you posted the "gory details" on your blog! Seriously, as soon as your mom sent out an email to the family, I have been thinking about you ever since! Completely amazing! You are clearly the toughest woman I know - physically and emotionally :) If I had birthed a baby WITHOUT an epidural and then been told I had another one comin', I probably would have passed out right there. I hope these little ones are angels for you! Love - Sarah (and, of course, Daniel, Olivia, and Eliza too)
I read Thamina's blog and had to read your story to believe what happened. Good luck! I can't imagine what a crazy experience that was. Have you made the news yet? You definitely should and your doctor should be fired or sued or both!
Wow! What a story! I am glad everything turned out so well. What cute little babies.
Wish I lived closer so I could help you in some way. Take care! :)
I was in total shock as I read all that!!! How crazy!! I thought you were only having one and then I saw the pictures of two and thought, how did I miss that she was having twins. That just totally floors me and I'm sure you have felt that as well. WOW!!! What a blessing that everything went well and they're both safe and healthy:) They're beautiful! Congrats!!!
This is hilarious. And wonderful. And shocking. And beautiful. Thank you for posting this. I found your story via Matt and Emily's blog (Emily's the daughter of my dad's cousin). Thank you for the laugh and the great birth story. I'm so glad everything turned out beautifully for you and your family and hope they still are going that way. What a crazy and fun story. I hope you don't mind if I link to your story from my blog. My friends and family have to read this.
Congratulations!
Also came over from the Huff's blog. Wow. How amazing. I am the mother of 16-month twins who were born 4 weeks early (via C-section) and spent some time in NICU. I'm so glad you and your babies are healthy. It really is a miracle.
You are an amazing woman! I couldn't imagine having that happen, although I've had crazy delivery stories as well. My mother-in-law had a similar story with her twins, but back then they didn't do ultrasounds as a routine. Good luck with the kiddos! (Sorry, I know you don't know me... I'm a friend of Kelsey's.)
Hey, I'm a friend of Brooke Bennett. I just have to say, WOW! Congratulations. That is the most amazing story I have ever read!
I just have to say I have no idea who Brooke Bennett or Kelsey are! I have no idea who a lot of you are anymore!
I'm a friend of Brooke's as well. I just have to say WOW! What a surprise and a blessing!
Good luck!
That is both amazing and crazy all at once. mt friend told me that I had to read this. I am a mom of 2 1/2 yr old twins my blog is private but feel free to email me at heidijogoody@hotmail.com if you would like to be invited
You don't know me but I work for a doctor in Idaho Falls, Id... they are going to love this!!!!! Thanks for the story!!!!
This tops all birth stories I have ever heard!! Sooo great!
WOW!! I saw this on my cousins blog, Brooke Bennett! That is the coolest weirdest thing ever!! I bet you were beyond blown away!!!! Talk about doubling the family right of!!Just think ,if you wanted only 4 you got 2 down in 1 shot without the pre stress of knowing!! Great pushing Super Woman!!
I just have to say, Wow!!! I have twins that are now 2 yrs old, I have a four year old, and a six year old. It looks like your kids are spaced about the same as mine! Good luck with it all, it is a lot of work, but so worth it!! I wouldn't change it for the world.
Wow that is crazy. I have twins that are 5 and i was 12 wks along when I found out there were 2 and I was shocked but actually finding out while your giving birth I cant imagine the shock. Im glad everything went so well for you:) Good luck with everything
someone posted a link to your blog on a forum i visit frequently and i have just have to say WOW! i told dh and he was amazed as well. he wanted to know if it was a military doctor! :P then he told me "don't have twins" b/c i'm 20 weeks pregnant right now. i'm hoping the just 1 baby we saw on my 10 week ultrasound will still only be 1 baby at the next one on 12/10 and when i deliver. good luck to you and congrats on both of them being healthy! :)
What an amazing story. I am so glad that everyone is happy and healthy. Good luck with you family!
Nicole
I just found your blog. AMAZING!! I have twin boys, and I really am amazed that you had an ultrasound and they missed your little girl! AND that you didn't measure any bigger, I was much bigger with them. CONGRATS, what a great story to tell them when they get bigger!
Hi Lucy,
You left a comment on my blog. I came across your birth story thru another blog that had posted it with a link to your blog.
It was too amazing not too share! However, if you would like me to take it down, I can do that. I made sure to cite it back to your blog so people knew where it came from.
Please let me know.
Blessings.
-hira
Post a Comment